Skincare Routines and the Gym
AKA Routines for when you just don’t have time!
One of my, and I’m sure many others, New Year Resolutions was to get more fit this year!
This was also partly inspired by my amazing friends, Jess & Jo at Dream.Work.Win, whose Instagram feed is a healthy lifestyle inspiration! And they’ve kindly helped me with suggestions and their own experiences to help build this Beauty and Gym Guide. For fitness and healthy tips eating follow them here, or read their blog here
I have a desk job, and work about 10-11 hours each day, so being efficient with my free time is a top priority for me.
What follows is a routine which works for me and lets me fit the Gym and Skincare into my life. But it’s also a routine which anyone who has time constraints can apply to their life!
For reference I have Combo/Acne Prone Skin.
Some Quick Top Gym Tips
- Always carry spare hair bobbles, keeping your hair out of your face makes exercising easier and it’s better for the skin
- Quickly cleanse your face with some micellar water/cleansing wipes before exercise. Make Up can clog your pores making it prone to breaking out. I’ll happily put my hands up and say sometimes I forget to do this, but my skin does look healthier when I do pre-cleanse
- Drink copious amounts of water. Hydration is key to keeping your body and skin healthy. You’ll be sweating more than you realise
- Don’t touch your face! Use a towel and gentle pat your face down.
- Keep a mist nearby. I love my mist for cooling me down and making me feel refreshed, even during an intense routine
What follows is a routine with the presumption you’re doing a block of activity, and not multiple classes during the day.
For those more active than myself, I suggest a micellar water/mist between activities to help keep your face feeling fresh and non-sweaty. What I’ve done in the past is soak some cotton rounds in micellar water and put them in a small round Tupperware container. An alternative to this is cleansing wipes.
Post Gym Routine
No one wants to be carrying a full routines worth of product in their bag, so I’ve created a simplified routine which works for me.
For those who gym at night, I’d recommend just bringing the cleansing steps and mist with you, and complete the routine at home.
When I do sports/gym in the AM what I’ll do in the morning is use a simple micellar water and apply suncream before heading out.
Post sports/gym this is my routine, I’ve presumed that a shower is close-by for this! Or that you’ve reached your home base after the gym. I’m fortunate in that my dynamic pilates class is just a short 5 minute walk away.
- Balm Cleanser – Easier to transport and I don’t have to worry about spills! I’ve got a Banila Co sample pot, and I regularly decant from my larger pot into the smaller pot.
An alternative to this is Micellar Water! Garnier is my all time favourite and I have a small travel version of this as well.
- Foam Cleanser – I use the Su:m37 Miracle Rose Stick. Low pH and easy to transport.
- Mist – I like to mist to set myself up for the rest of the routine! I also use this mist during the sporting activity. Helps me keep cool and relaxed. I keep a mist at all times in my sports bag.
- Serum or Sheetmask – At this point I’ll still be in my dressing gown and towel. So I’ll slap on a sheetmask, or if you’re feeling shy to do that in public, as I often am, a serum. Dry my hair, brush it back and get dressed. This usually takes me 10 minutes, when I’m at home I continue to wear the sheetmask for the full 20 minutes. Read all about sheetmasks, for why I love them so much and recommendations.
The serums I carry around are the LJH Propolis Ampoule, as it’s tiny size lends itself well, or a decant of the Scinic Honey AIO. This is slightly thicker and I use when my face needs an extra kick of hydration.
- Moisturiser – I have decanted some moisturiser out, and use samples as well! I can’t be the only one with a sample stash, and this is a great way to use them up. Pictured is the Laneige Water Bank Moisture Cream, which is great for the winter cold. The moisturiser I’ve decanted is the ATOClassic Real Tonic Lotion (Reviewed Here), I prefer this one in warmer weather as it’s light and my skin absorbs it quickly. Perfect for AM or hasty routines.
- Suncream – A must and I also find that it works well as a primer for my make up.
- Make Up – As you see fit.
As cleansing is within the shower, and the sheetmask/serum is while I’m drying my hair/getting dressed I barely spend time on my routine at all!
It’s really applying Make Up that takes time for me, and I’ve perfected this to 10 mins, by stripping it down to the bare minimum of Cushion, Eyeliner, Eyebrow Pencil, Blusher and Lipstick.
So there we have it! This is how I’ve managed to incorporate my skincare routine into my gym routine without sacrificing too much product or time. I’ve really started to see the benefits of doing some weekly sports, and I hope I can keep this up!
Share you top fitness or time saving skincare tips in the comments below.